Thursday, September 3, 2009

Is Gmail Ready for Business? - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

CNNMoney.com recently published the article questioning whether Gmail is ready for business (see link below).

I think the question for a frustrated company becomes: Where will we go for more reliable email delivery? 

I don't think that there is as robust of a solution out there that provides superior reliability.

I rely heavily on Google's services and the Gmail outage set me back significantly as I was unable to deliver the services that I promised as they are sent via email - but I am not about to switch.  There is nowhere to go.  And hosting my own email will be far less reliable than Google doing it.

Questioning managed services in the cloud because of a two hour or so outage of Gmail is a little over the top for me, but it is a question being thrown around quite a bit due to the outage.  Sure it was down for millions of users – but if those same users weren’t using Gmail, the likelihood that they would have been collectively without their email for even longer periods over the past year if using in-house or some other provider is very high.

The Article
Is Gmail Ready for Business? - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

No comments:

Post a Comment